Thursday, October 04, 2007

P2P-QM

The introduction of my last post was too difficult for some readers. They went lost crossing the Hilbert space. I know: the subject is intimidating, the vocabulary is scaring. Don't be discouraged! If you are really determined to conquer the Hilbert space, there's a musician that can help you. I don't mean the famous pianist from Zuerich (the space we are talking about is not over the Alps). Nor I mean the unknown drummer from Santiago (though he has certainly seen thousands of pilgrims since his childhood). Our man is the guitarist from Saskatoon. He has developed an unorthodox approach to Quantum Mechanics, that we can tag as the peer-to-peer way or, according to his own words: "If I Can Understand This So Can You". He still makes extensive use of math formulae, because his purpose is to acquaint you with them, but the title of the web site is explicit: Practical NMR Spectroscopy for the Rest of Us".
It appears, from the index, that four lessons have not been written yet. I can understand why: it takes an incredible amount of time to finish a web page with all those symbols and drawings. What is available is already impressive. If you like it, send your feedback to Keith Brown, or just write "thank you".
There's more! He has also written a piece of software: the Product Operator Calculator, which is an alternative way to simulate NMR experiment. Nice effort, but I advise you to consider POMA too. The latter requires Mathematica. You'll read that you can use the Mathematica player instead, which you can download for free from Wolfram. It's a bulk download and DOES NOT WORK! I have mentioned these calculators just because software is the theme of my blog. Personally I use the solitaire. It's much easier to download too.

2 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

never visited www.univ-reims.fr/LSD/JmnSoft?

Jean-Marc Nuzillard

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger old swan said...

Really! I visited it when you posted you first comment here, months ago. I visited it, bookmarked it and also read your article "Automatic first-order multiplet analysis in liquid-state NMR". I renew my invitation: whenever you want to write an article or become the author of this blog, you are welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home